According to topschoolsintheusa, Wolcott, Connecticut is a small town located in New Haven County. It has a population of 16,719 people as of the 2020 census. The town covers an area of 34.2 square miles and is bordered by Waterbury to the south, Cheshire to the east, and Watertown to the west.
The climate in Wolcott is classified as humid continental with hot summers and cold winters. Average temperatures range from 21°F in January to 77°F in July. Precipitation can range from 0–4 inches per month with snowfall averaging around 40 inches annually.
The history of Wolcott dates back to 1685 when it was incorporated as part of Waterbury. It became its own town in 1796 and has since grown steadily over the years, becoming more suburbanized than rural in recent decades.
Politics wise, Wolcott leans conservative with most residents voting for Republican candidates during presidential elections, although there are pockets of Democratic support as well.
The economy of Wolcott is mostly centered around retail businesses such as department stores and grocery stores along with some light manufacturing here and there. The average household income is $85,000 a year, making it one of the wealthier towns in Connecticut as a whole.
Wolcott has several public schools for students from kindergarten up through high school including two elementary schools (Algonquin School and Tyrrell Middle School), one middle school (Frisbie Middle School) and one high school (Wolcott High School). There’s also a number of private schools such as Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic School and Sts Peter & Paul Lutheran School for those who prefer them over public schools.
As far as landmarks go, some notable ones include the historic homes on Center Street which have been preserved since they were built over 200 years ago; Rock House Hill which offers great views of the surrounding area; and Lake Compounce amusement park which has been operating since 1846 and is one of the oldest parks still running today!
Population: 15,215. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,228 (+6.7% change)
Males: 7,411 (48.7%), Females: 7,804 (51.3%)
New Haven County
Median resident age: 38.1 years
Median household income: $61,376
Median house value: $143,400
Races in Wolcott:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.2%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Black (1.2%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (38.1%), Irish (20.8%), French (14.3%), German (10.7%), Polish (9.5%), English (8.5%).
Elevation: 682 feet
Wolcott, Connecticut is a small town located in the southwestern corner of the state. It has a population of just over 16,000 people and covers an area of just under 30 square miles. It is a predominantly white-collar town with most residents working in professional or managerial occupations. The median household income is $72,000, which is significantly higher than the national average. The town has a strong sense of community and there are many local organizations and events that bring residents together. There is also an active arts scene with multiple galleries, theaters, and music venues to explore. Additionally, there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy such as hiking trails, fishing spots, and parks. Wolcott also has a long history with many historical sites including the old Wolcott Town Hall which dates back to 1799 and several Civil War monuments. The town also offers great educational opportunities with two public high schools and an elementary school as well as several private institutions nearby. Overall, Wolcott is a great place to live for those looking for a small-town feel combined with big city amenities.
For population 25 years and over in Wolcott
- High school or higher: 87.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wolcott town
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 63.8%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 9.4%
5.7% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 1.0% Asia, 0.8% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wolcott:
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; WATERBURY, CT)
- BRISTOL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; BRISTOL, CT)
- BRADLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL & HEALTH CTR (about 9 miles; SOUTHINGTON, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wolcott:
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 26 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Abbreviation: HFD)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 26 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Abbreviation: HVN)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 32 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; Abbreviation: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wolcott:
- WATERBURY (about 4 miles; WATERBURY, CT; Abbreviation: N41)
- ROBERTSON FIELD (about 12 miles; PLAINVILLE, CT; Abbreviation: 4B8)
- NORTHFIELD (about 12 miles; THOMASTON, CT; Abbreviation: N09)
Amtrak stations near Wolcott:
- 14 miles: MERIDEN (60 STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 16 miles: BERLIN (KENSINGTON, DEPOT RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Wolcott:
- CONNECTICUT INSTITUTE OF HAIR DESIGN (Full-time enrollment: 9; Location: 1681 MERIDEN RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wolcott:
- NAUGATUCK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; WATERBURY, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,834)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; HAMDEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,836)
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,967)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 11,011)
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,808)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,100)
- UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD (about 22 miles; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,557)
Public high school in Wolcott:
- WOLCOTT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 828; Location: 457 BOUND LINE RD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wolcott:
- TYRRELL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 791; Location: 500 TODD RD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WAKELEE SCHOOL (Students: 479; Location: 12 HEMPEL DR.; Grades: KG – 05)
- ALCOTT SCHOOL (Students: 419; Location: 1490 WOODTICK RD.; Grades: PK – 05)
- FRISBIE SCHOOL (Students: 399; Location: 24 TODD RD.; Grades: KG – 05)
- HOMEBOUND (Students: 5; Location: 154 CENTER STREET; Grades: 01 – 12)
Library in Wolcott:
- WOLCOTT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $315,996; Location: 469 BOUND LINE ROAD; 50,006 books; 1,515 audio materials; 3,578 video materials; 70 serial subscriptions)