US 441 in Tennessee
According to transporthint, US 441 is a US Highway in the US state of Tennessee. The route forms a north-south route from the North Carolina border through Knoxville to Rocky Top. US 441 is 135 kilometers long in Tennessee.
US 441 travels through the Appalachian Mountains on hairpin turns to the 1,539-foot Newfound Gap on the border with North Carolina. The route descends to Sevierville and is double numbered there with US 321 and US 411. The route is a divided highway from Pigeon Forge to Knoxville, with US 441 running over the Knoxville street network, the only north-south US Highway in Knoxville to do so. The route then heads north parallel to Interstate 75 and ends in Rocky Top on US 25W.
US 441 was one of the original US Highways of 1926, but at the time it ran only in Florida. In 1952 the route was extended north from Georgia to Lake City (now: Rocky Top), creating two double numbers between Gatlinburg and Seymour. Until 2014, Rocky Top terminus was known as Lake City.
The road over the 1,539 meter high Newfound Gap on the border with North Carolina was completed in 1932. This replaced the older route across Indian Gap that was developed from the 19th century. The Newfound Gap road is sometimes temporarily closed during heavy snowfall, especially on the Tennessee side.
US 441 on the edge of the Appalachian Mountains has been upgraded to a 2×2 divided highway, presumably in the 1970s due to tourism. Also, the road between Seymour and Knoxville has been widened to a narrow 4-lane road.
In Knoxville, US 441 crosses the Tennessee River via the Henley Bridge. This monumental arch bridge dates from 1931. Between 2011 and 2015, the bridge was extensively renovated and provided with footpaths. North of Knoxville, US 441 crosses the Norris Dam, a dam constructed between 1933 and 1936 as the Tennessee Valley Authority’s first major project. The advantage is also that US 441 has less elevation changes in the valley of the Clinch River.
US 45 in Tennessee
|Length||121 + 65 mi|
|Length||195 + 105 km|
According to travelationary, US 45 is a US Highway in the US state of Tennessee. The road forms a north-south route through the west of the state, from the Mississippi border through Jackcson to the Kentucky border. Between Three Ways and South Fulton on the border with Kentuckty, US 45 splits into US 45E and US 45W. The combined length is 300 kilometers.
US 45 in Mississippi comes from Corinth and is a divided highway with 2×2 lanes from the border. The route heads north to Jackson, the largest city on the route, where it intersects Interstate 40. Just north of Jackson, at Three Ways, US 45 splits into US 45E and US 45W.
US 45E follows the eastern route to South Fulton and is completely a divided highway with 2×2 lanes, even briefly a freeway around the village of Martin. The route is actually the main route of US 45.
The US 45W follows an approximately 15 to 20 kilometers more westerly route and is also a divided highway with 2×2 lanes, except for about 30 kilometers. From Union City to the Kentucky border, US 45 with US 51 is double-numbered, this part is a freeway.
US 45 at Bethel Springs.
US 45 was one of the original US Highways of 1926. The route has always passed through Tennessee.
Nearly the entire US 45 has been widened to at least 4 lanes, largely as a 2×2 divided highway, but also partly as a 5-lane road with a center turn lane. The only single lane section is on US 45W between Rutherford and Union City. A large part of the widening was not carried out until after 1990.
Only a very small portion of 2×2 US 45 is actually a freeway, the first few miles from the Mississippi border, which is part of the Corinth bypass. This part was opened in the mid 1980’s. Presumably in the mid-1990s, US 45 was widened further to Selmer to a 5-lane road with a center turn lane.
The Selmer bypass was constructed in the mid-1980s but originally handled mostly east-west traffic on US 64. Around 1990-1991, the 2×2 bypass was extended northward beyond Bethel Springs. In the mid-1990s, the stretch from Bethel Springs to Henderson was widened to a 2×2 divided highway.
Older 2×2 sections are in the Jackson area, the largest town on the route. The Jackson bypass is believed to have been completed in the 1970s. Before 1984, the road between Jackson and the split of US 45E and US 45W at Three Way had been widened to 2×2 lanes.
Between Milan and Greenfield, an approximately 20 kilometer long section of US 45E has been widened and rerouted with 2×2 lanes. The biggest diversion was at Bradford. This diversion was realized in the mid-1990s. In the period 1995-1997, a widening and rerouting of the US 45E between Greenfield and Martin was also carried out. This also included a bypass from Sharon. In the period 1997-1999, the road between Martin and Fulton was widened to 2×2 lanes.
The 2×2 section between Union City and Fulton coincides with US 51. This is the oldest 2×2 section of US 45 in northern Tennessee and was a brand new section some distance from the old road. When this upgrade was carried out is not known, but already before 1984.
A significant upgrade was a 20-mile new route of US 45W from the north side of Trenton past Dyer to the north side of Rutherford. This was constructed in two phases, around 1999-2000 the section from Trenton to Dyer was constructed and immediately following the section to Rutherford around 2001.