Theater and opera houses
Michigan Building in Detroit
The Michigan Theater in Detroit is a huge office building and former theater that was built in 1925 in the style of the French Renaissance for USD 3.5 million; its value would be estimated at almost 43 million today. In the early years, the theater in the heart of Detroit had more than 4,000 seats on 4 floors and shone above all through the expansion of its huge auditorium. Since 1977, however, only cars have been parked in the old, but so beautiful auditorium, the closure of which led to much criticism in the USA and is still regretted today.
Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor
The Michigan State Theater in Ann Arbor is a non-profit center for film and the performing arts. Its construction started in 1942 and it was the last commercial building to be completed in Ann Arbor after the Second World War. In addition to films, concerts, performances and exhibitions, a number of further training courses and activities for children are also offered.
Puppet ART Theater in Detroit
In this relatively small theater with around 70 seats, puppets from all over the world are played by professional puppeteers and exhibited in the associated museum. Dolls from the former Soviet Union, but also from other cultures, are the pride of the Puppet ART Theater.
- See Countryaah for a full list cities and towns in Michigan. Also includes counties, airports, zip codes, and public holidays of Michigan.
Museums and exhibitions
Detroit Institute of Arts
The Detroit Institute of Arts is located in the city’s cultural center and is one of the largest in the United States. There are several museums in the Woodward and Warren Avenue area of Detroit – the Institute of Arts is the most popular. A large number of American artists are represented there, with Diego Rivera paying particular attention to the Detroit Industry painting. A separate room was dedicated to him, in which countless visitors reflect the constant theme, the harsh tone of the industrial city, every day.
African World Museum in Lansing
The African World Museum in Lansing (also: All around the African world museum) opened in 1996. It focuses on African history and culture and its worldwide distribution, and exhibits artifacts and art objects from many African countries. Furthermore, readings and training courses are offered that deal with topics such as refugees and racism.
RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing
In addition to 51 other oldsmobiles from 1896 to 2003, the RE Olds Transportation Museum shows the first oldsmobile launched in 1897 – originating from the automobile factory of Ransom Eli Olds and Frank G. Clark in Lansing. Alongside Mercedes and Peugeot, the Oldsmobile is one of the oldest car brands in the world.
Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn
About 10 km from downtown Detroit is the small town of Dearborn, where the famous Henry Ford Museum is located. However, not only classic cars and works on the history of Ford are exhibited there, but also other objects that are important for the American history. These include, for example, the chair on which Lincoln was sitting when he was shot or the limousine that Kennedy was in when he was murdered.
Greenfield Village in Dearborn
Greenfield Village is an open air museum, which is located just like the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Historically significant and famous buildings from all over the USA are being rebuilt and restored in their original form. You can visit the Wright brothers’ aircraft workshop, the first Ford building and the laboratories of Thomas Alva Edison from Menlo Park. Although the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village don’t belong together, you can buy a combo ticket for both and save a few dollars.
Monuments and memorials
Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills
The Zenkelmann family’s Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills was established in 1984 as the first of its kind in the United States. On the one hand, it addresses the persecution of the Jews during National Socialism, on the other hand the history and culture of the Jewish people worldwide. It also served as a model for the construction of the Holocaust Center in Washington DC
Father Marquette National Memorial
The Father Marquette National Memorial was created to honor the life and work of the French priest Jaques Marquette. It is located in the Straits State Park in St. Ignace on Michigan’s upper peninsula. There he founded his Jesuit mission in 1671 and was buried 7 years later. On a 15-station nature trail, visitors to the park can learn more about the history of the priest and discoverer.
Special churches, temples and monasteries
St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church in Detroit
The St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church is a Catholic church on Canfield Avenue in Detroit. It was built in the Gothic style in 1901 and included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and listed as a historical monument. The almost 60 m high red brick church was named after the Greek priest St. Josaphat Kuntseyvch, as it was mainly used by Polish immigrants until the 1960s and its construction was to honor the former Archbishop of Polotsk in Poland.
St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church in Detroit
The St. Charles Borromeo Roman Catholic Church on Baldwin Avenue in Detroit is a cruciform church that belonged to the Belgian community in Michigan around 1850. The neuromanic church consists of a total of four buildings – the high age, the church itself, the rectory and a school. Today she has more than 3000 followers, many of whom are of German, Irish and Scottish descent.
Kirk-in-the-hills Preybeyterian Church in Bloomfield Township
Kirk-in-the-hills Preybeyterian Church is a Gothic-style cathedral-like church in Bloomfield Township, which was built in 1958. Its name comes from the Scottish word kirk, which means church. It was built on the model of the Scottish church Melrose Abbey in Melrose. The entire area around the graceful church covers 160,000 m². Its architecture is a prime example of Gothic architecture in the United States.
Mariner’s Church in Detroit
The Neo-Gothic Anglican Church, built in 1842, is located on East Jefferson Street in Detroit. The free and independent church was founded in 1842 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in the United States in 1971. In front of its gates is a bronze sculpture of former President George Washington. It is the most visited church in Michigan.