China is one of the most emerging and interesting countries in the world. For this reason, numerous visitors and tourists are drawn there every year. If you want to travel to China, you should plan your stay as well as possible. This includes, among other things, finding out about possible means of transport in advance. For example, did you know that European driving licenses are not recognized in China? You can find this and much more useful information about transport options in the following article.
This means you can travel cheaply and comfortably within the country
There are various ways to reach tourist destinations or places of interest in China. The choices include:
- the high-speed train as well as other trains
- The plane
- a rental car or car
- the subway
- the taxi
You can travel back and forth between major cities by high-speed train
If you want to travel from city to city, it is best to use the train. China has a very well-developed rail system. Numerous high-speed trains serve the largest cities in China. See top-engineering-schools for how to import from China.
Over 38,000 km can be easily covered on rails in the country. The state is also continuously working on expanding the infrastructure. In just a few years it will be possible to travel across the country at speeds of over 600 kilometers per hour using a magnetic levitation train.
Your advantages when traveling with high-speed trains:
- They protect the environment.
- Long distances between cities can be covered quickly by train.
- You travel relaxed and enjoy a unique scenic view during the journey.
- numerous train stations are served.
- The trains are very rarely late and they almost never cancel.
However, there are not only the well-known high-speed trains in China. Alternatively, you can travel with an express train, the night train or the Tibet Railway. This is a rail connection between the city of Xining and the Tibetan capital Lhasa.
The route covers 2,000 km and leads through an impressive high mountain landscape. Up to 5,072 meters in height are overcome during the journey. For many tourists, this trip is a unique and unforgettable experience.
Use the plane for longer distances
Many tourists choose to fly when they have to travel longer distances. Of course, there are various domestic flights available in China, so you can easily reach your destinations by plane.
However, you should note that flights are often canceled at short notice, especially in the rainy season. Nevertheless, the plane is of course one of the most comfortable travel options in the country.
The advantages of airplanes as a means of transport in China:
- You can reach far-flung destinations comfortably and quite inexpensively.
- China has 241 civil airports, so you can reach almost anywhere.
The car as an alternative to buses and trains
Visitors wishing to rent a car in China should note that foreign driving licenses are not recognized. In addition, applying for a temporary driving license is very time-consuming and complicated.
The car is therefore particularly suitable as a means of transport if you are in the country for a longer period of time and do not want to travel by bus or train. Trains, buses and taxis are cheaper, but they often require good domestic language skills.
A car is useful if you want to travel to very rural areas. Of course, it also offers a high degree of flexibility because you are independent of time. However, the traffic chaos in China’s large cities is problematic and you should take this into account.
Other advantages of cars as a means of transport in China:
- You are independent of public transport.
- Some tourist destinations are easier to reach by car.
- By hiring a driver, you can travel comfortably by car in China without any local knowledge.
Travel cheaply and conveniently in the city by subway
The large cities, such as Beijing or Shanghai, have a very well-developed subway network. You usually have the opportunity to buy a subway card very cheaply, which can then even be used on the buses. As a tourist, you can also travel comfortably by subway in cities such as Xian, Chengdu and Chongqing.
Shanghai has the longest subway network in the world. The suburbs of large metropolitan regions can often also be reached by train. With the Shanghai Metro you travel on a rail network that currently covers a length of 588 kilometers. This impressive number shows that you can reach any inner-city destination in just a few minutes.
Your advantages when using the subway in China:
- All major cities have a well-developed subway network.
- It is very cost-effective to use.
- It is the easiest way to get around the city.
- The subways are very well signposted, so that even tourists can find their way around quickly.
Take a taxi to the sights
Of course, you can also order a taxi in China and be driven to the famous sights as a tourist or visitor . Your hotel will call you a taxi if you wish. You will also find numerous taxis at the busy tourist attractions.
However, if you want to go to places outside of the hotspots, you won’t have an easy time finding a taxi. In China, the “Didi” transport service is often used. However, this is only available to users with a Chinese mobile number.
You should also note that the taxi drivers usually do not speak English. Therefore, have a piece of paper with your travel destination written in Chinese characters.
You benefit from these advantages when traveling by taxi:
- You can find taxis at all attractions.
- There are many apps that allow you to call a taxi online directly on site.
- You travel safely and can also take larger pieces of luggage with you.
Explore the country by bike
China is undoubtedly the country of bicycles. You can always easily find a bike in the cities that you can rent and use at short notice. Many companies will provide you with a bike of your choice for several hours or even days.
The surrounding landscape of a big city can also be quickly explored in this way. With a Chinese SIM card, you can also easily rent a bike yourself using your cell phone or app, so you can always travel flexibly.
These are the advantages of using a bicycle as a tourist in China:
- You never get stuck in traffic and protect the environment.
- Bicycles are inexpensive.
- There are various cycle paths where you can travel safely.
- You can also rent the bike spontaneously at night using the app, so you are always flexible.