Collbran is a small town located in Mesa County, Colorado, with a population of around 814 people. It’s located at the confluence of Plateau Creek and the Gunnison River, in an area known as the Grand Valley. The climate in Collbran is semi-arid, with hot summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Colorado.
The history of Collbran dates back to the late 1800s when settlers began to move into the area. The town was officially founded in 1889 and was named after two early settlers, John Collbran and his wife Eliza Collbran. The economy was originally based on agriculture and ranching, but has since diversified as more businesses have moved into the area.
The local school district serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are several landmarks in Collbran including the original homestead of John and Eliza Collbran which is now a museum, a large bronze statue of a horse that stands in front of City Hall, and dozens of historical buildings throughout town that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Politics in Collbran lean towards conservative values, with most residents voting Republican during elections. The town is run by an elected mayor and five city council members who serve four-year terms.
Collbran also has several recreational activities for residents to enjoy such as fishing, hunting, camping, hiking trails, skiing at Powderhorn Resort nearby, golfing at Adobe Creek National Golf Course just outside town limits and many other activities throughout Grand Mesa National Forest which borders the town to its west side.
Population: 388. Estimated population in July 2020: 408 (+5.2% change)
Males: 181 (46.6%), Females: 207 (53.4%)
Zip code: 81624
Median resident age: 38.5 years
Median household income: $32,500
Median house value: $108,000
Races in Collbran:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.8%)
- Hispanic (4.1%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (13.9%), English (11.1%), Irish (9.3%), Danish (4.9%), Swedish (4.9%), United States (4.4%).
Elevation: 5987 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Collbran, Colorado is a small rural town located in western Colorado. It has a population of 1,082 people according to the 2010 U.S. Census. Its population is mainly white with a small percentage of Hispanic and African American residents. The median age of the town is 39 years old, which is slightly lower than the national median age of 37.7 years old. The majority of Collbran’s residents work in agriculture, forestry and fishing industries and many are employed by local businesses such as gas stations, convenience stores, restaurants and banks. The town also has two schools which serve students from elementary to high school level: Plateau Valley School District 50-JT and Plateau Valley High School. The town has several parks including Collbran City Park which offers a playground for children and fishing at nearby Vega Reservoir. There are also several churches in the area including Collbran Bible Church, First Baptist Church of Collbran and St Barnabas Episcopal Church. Collbran has its own library as well as a post office and gas station for visitors’ convenience. With its beautiful mountain views and friendly atmosphere, it’s no wonder that many people choose to call Collbran home!
For population 25 years and over in Collbran
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Collbran town
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 58.4%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 14.3%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +127 (+48.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Collbran:
- CLAGETT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; RIFLE, CO)
- DELTA COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 36 miles; DELTA, CO)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL AND MEDICAL CENTER (about 39 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Collbran:
- WALKER FIELD (about 39 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Abbreviation: GJT)
- MONTROSE REGIONAL (about 52 miles; MONTROSE, CO; Abbreviation: MTJ)
- ASPEN-PITKIN CO/SARDY FIELD (about 77 miles; ASPEN, CO; Abbreviation: ASE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Collbran:
- GARFIELD COUNTY REGIONAL (about 26 miles; RIFLE, CO; Abbreviation: RIL)
- BLAKE FIELD (about 32 miles; DELTA, CO; Abbreviation: 1V9)
- HAWKINS FIELD (about 36 miles; DELTA, CO; Abbreviation: D17)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Collbran:
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 49 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,400)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 80 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 134 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 170 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 189 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT BOULDER (about 189 miles; BOULDER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 25,355)
Public high schools in Collbran:
- GRAND MESA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 156; Location: 56600 HIGHWAY 330; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PLATEAU VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 109; Location: 56600 HIGHWAY 330; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Collbran:
- PLATEAU VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 161; Location: 56600 HIGHWAY 330; Grades: PK – 05)
- PLATEAU VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 71; Location: 56600 HIGHWAY 330; Grades: 06 – 08)