Theater and opera houses
Mystic Theater The Dickinson
Mystic Theater is one of the oldest surviving cinemas in
the United States. The Mystic Theater was built in 1914.
The cinema, however, is no longer in operation, but on
the list of historical buildings and it is being advised
about a restoration.
Chester Fritz Auditorium in Grand Forks
The Chester Fritz Auditorium in the city of Grand Forks
offers visitors concerts, dance performances and
Broadway musicals. The Chester Fritz Auditorium is
located on the University of North Dakota campus and
serves as a lecture hall for the university at irregular
intervals. It is affectionately called "The Fritz".
||3475 University Avenue
Grand Forks, North Dakota 58202-9028
Empire Arts Center in Grand Forks
The Empire Arts Center in the city of Grand Forks was
built in 1919, making it one of the oldest cinemas in
the country. It was restored after the flood of 1997 and
still functions as a cinema today. It continues to
provide a stage for theater productions.
||415 Demers Avenue
Grand Forks, North Dakota 58201
The Fargo Theater in the city of the same name, Fargo,
was built in 1926 in Art Deco style and restored in
1999. Nowadays, the Fargo Theater is an important
cultural hub in the city. Here entertainment offers can
be used in the illusion of past times.
Fargo, North Dakota 58102
Museums and exhibitions
North Dakota Heritage Center in Bismarck
The North Dakota Heritage Center is a history museum in
the city of Bismarck. It opened in 1967 and is located
on the State Capitol grounds. The museum's permanent
exhibition deals with the history of the state and the
city of Bismarck, but also shows natural history
exhibits and shows the natural history of the state and
its living beings. In addition to its permanent
exhibition, the museum also shows thematically changing
exhibitions. One of the most interesting new
acquisitions were mummified dinosaurs in 2008. And best
of all: entry is free.
||612 East Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505
Plains Art Museum in Fargo
The Plains Art Museum in the city of Fargo is an art
museum founded in 1965. At the time of its founding, it
was initially called the Red River Arts Center before it
was renamed the Plains Art Museum in 1975. The museum's
collection comprises approximately 3,000 objects of art
that are mainly attributable to modern and contemporary
art. But there are also works of Indian art. Highlights
of the museum include works by Andy Warhol, Salvador
Dali and George Morrison. Since 1996 the museum has been
housed in the historic “International Harvestor”
department store, which has an exhibition area of
||704 First Avenue North
Fargo, North Dakota 58102
North Dakota Museum of Art at Grand Forks
The North Dakota Museum of Art is located in
the city of Grand Forks and is a museum of contemporary
art. The museum is located on the campus of the
University of North Dakota. The museum was founded in
1970 as the University of North Dakota Art Gallery, and
the museum received its current name in 1981. Today, the
museum exhibits its exhibits on an exhibition area of
approximately 1,500 mē.
||261 Centennial Drive
Grand Forks, North Dakota 58202
Tofthagen Library and Museum in Lakota
The Tofthagen Museum in the city of Lakota near
Grand Forks is a mixture of museum and library. The
museum is housed in a building from 1927, which is worth
seeing in itself. The highlight of the exhibition is
surely the Sitting Bull peace pipe. Free admission.
||116 B Avenue West
Lakota, North Dakota
Monuments and memorials
Sakakawea Statue in Bismarck
The statue of the Indian Sakakawea, who helped
the Lewis and Clark expedition as an interpreter and
others, is located on the grounds of the State Capitol.
The 3.65 m bronze statue was inaugurated in 1910 and
represents Sakakawea with her son as she looks west
following the route of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Sakakawea has also been featured on the gold-colored 1
dollar coin since 2000.
All Veterans Memorial in Bismarck
The All Veterans Memorial in the city of Bismarck is a
memorial on the State Capitol site dedicated to the
memory of all citizens of the state who died in the
wars. These are 4,050 in total and their names are
engraved on a bronze plate. The monument was inaugurated
in 1989. It is also very impressive when it is dark,
because then it is illuminated.