Historically interesting places
Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial
The Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial is a national monument since 1962
in memory of former President Abraham Lincoln. The memorial consists of several
buildings, such as the replica of the farm on which Abraham Lincoln grew up from
1816 to 1839, the historic farm house and its foundations, and the Memorial
Building. In the Memorial Building, visitors will find a museum and a gallery
with paintings that have connections with Abraham Lincoln. There is also a
15-minute film about the life of Abraham Lincoln in Indiana for those
interested. There is also the Living Historical Farm, where the memorial staff
dressed in the style of the 1820s work and visitors are available for questions.
||April to October: Daily: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; November to March: Daily:
8 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.
||Lincoln City, Indiana 47552 Tel: 001 - (0) 812 -
937 45 41
Fax: 001 - (0) 812 - 937 99 29
George Rogers Clark
National Historical Park in Vincennes
The George Rogers Clark National Historical Park is located in the city of
Vincennes in southwest India. The park is located on the banks of the Wabash
River and covers an area of approximately 98,000 mē. This makes the George
Rogers Clark National Historical Park the largest of all National Historical
Parks in the United States. The park was built from 1931 to 1936 and has since
been reminiscent of George Rogers Clark and his army, who defeated the British
army during the American War of Independence in 1779 and took Fort Sackville.
Due to the strenuous marches the army had to travel, the victory is still
remembered as one of the greatest acts during the civil war. The George Rogers
Clark Memorial is particularly striking within the park. This rotunda made of
granite has a height of approx. 25 m and a diameter of approx. 30 m. Inside the
George Rogers Clark Memorial are several murals and a small museum. A second
highlight of the park is the statue of Francis Vigo.
||Daily: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
||401 S. 2nd Street
Vincennes, Indiana 47591
Tel: 001 - (0) 812 - 882 17 76
Fax: 001 - (0) 812 - 882 72 70
Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the city of Speedway is the venue
for the infamous Indianapolis 500 (also Indy 500) car race on Memorial Day
(Indycars). The race track is located in the city of Speedway, but it is
completely enclosed by Indianapolis. The route is an oval with a length of
around 4 km (2.5 miles). However, there is still the so-called infield course,
which has a different route. The track was built and opened in 1909, making it
the first track built solely for auto racing in the United States. The infamous
Indianapolis 500 first took place in 1911 on the then brick-built route. Today
is only the 1 yard = 0.9144 m wide target strip of the brick route.
||4790 W 16th Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46222
Tel: 001 - (0) 317 - 492 85 00
Fax: 001 - (0)
Tippecanoe Battlefield Park in
The Tippecanoe Battlefield Park is a 65,000 square kilometer park dedicated to
the battle in 1811 between the Shawnee Indians and the United States. The park
was created after the property was given to the state of Indiana in 1836 by a
former participant in the battle. In addition to hiking in the park, this also
offers visitors an approx. 30 m high obelisk, the so-called Battlefield
Monument. There is also a museum in the park dedicated to the history of the
||Daily, except Wednesdays: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
||Adults $ 4; Children $ 1
||200 Battle Ground Avenue
Battle Ground, Indiana 47920
Prophetstown State Park
The Prophetstown State Park was founded in 2004 and is the youngest or
newest state park in Indiana. The park is located near the town of Battle
Ground. The park covers an area of approximately 8.1 kmē and contains a museum
dedicated to the history of the natives of North America. The museum operates a
reconstructed Indian village and a farm from the 1920s. Visitors can get an
insight into the life of earlier times here. The park is named after Tenskwatawa
(the Prophet), who also gave the former Indian settlement its name. In the park
there are still several hiking trails with different levels of difficulty and
lengths. from 0.8 to 4 km. There are also several parking spaces in the park, as
well as campsites and picnic areas.
||Battle Ground, Indiana 47920
Tel: 001 - (0) 765 - 567 49 19
Special buildings and structures
Chase Tower in Indianapolis (Bank One
The Chase Tower, formerly also called Bank One Tower, in Indianapolis with a
height of approx. 253 m is the tallest building in the city and the entire state
of Indiana. The skyscraper was built from 1988 to 1990. The building has 48
floors and 27 elevators. On the roof of the building there are 2 antennas for
communication, but only one of these two is functional, the other only serves as
an architectural decoration. Between these are sometimes banners with the
inscriptions "GO PACERS" and "GO COLTS", the professional football and
basketball teams of the city. Due to the height of the building, these can be
seen widely and should support the teams.
||111 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Soldiers '& Sailors' Monument in Indianapolis
The Soldiers '& Sailors' Monument in Indianapolis is a monument on the city's
Monument Circle. It was built from 1888 to 1901 and has a height of 87 m, which
is only 6 m smaller than the Statue of Liberty. It is a memorial to commemorate
those killed in Indiana who fell from the Declaration of Independence in 1776
until the end of the Civil War in 1865. The neoclassical styleThe limestone
monument erected by the German architect Bruno Schmitz. At the top of the
monument is a viewing platform that can be climbed via stairs (331 steps) or an
elevator. Under the monument is the Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum, which
tells the story of India during the American Civil War.
|Museum opening times
||Wednesday to Sunday: 10:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
||100 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Indiana Statehouse in Indianapolis
The Indiana Statehouse in Indianapolis is the capitol of the state of Indiana,
more precisely the 5th state capitol of Indiana. It was built from 1880 to 1888.
Today, it houses the seat of the governor of Indiana, the Indiana General
Assembly (legislative), the Supreme Court, and other state officials. The
building in the neoclassical style has the shape of a cross with four wings
connected by the large rotunda in the middle. The glazed dome located on the
rotunda has a height of 78, making it the second tallest structure in India at
the time of its completion. The interior architecture and interior are based on
the style of the Italian Renaissance. Most of the building materials come from
Indiana, such as limestone or oak for the doors. From 1988 to 1995 the building
was thoroughly renovated and partially modernized. In the building and around
the building there are more than 40 works of art, which range from statues, for
example by Christopher Columbus and the young Abraham Lincoln, to portrait busts
and bronze plaques. Guided tours of the building are offered.
|Opening times of the tour office
||Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
||200 W Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Tel: 001 - (0) 317 - 233 52 93
Allen County Courthouse in Fort Wayne
The Allen County Courthouse in Fort Wayne is a historic courthouse. The
courthouse is one of the city's landmarks and was built between 1897 and 1902.
The building was constructed in the style of the Beaux-Arts architecture, which
can be attributed to neoclassicism. But the architecture of the building
continues to impress with influences from the Greek, Roman and Renaissance
architectural styles. Inside the building you can admire the up to 14 m large
wall paintings and the stucco marble. The exterior of the building attracts
particular attention to the 78 m high rotunda with a 4 m statue, or rather a
replica of the Statue of Liberty, perched on top.
||715 S Calhoun Street
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802
Heritage Hall (Valparaiso University) in Valparaiso
The Heritage Hall is the oldest on the campus of Valparaiso University in the
city of Valparaiso. The building was built in 1875 and was initially called
Flint Hall. After a fire, the building was bought, renovated and reopened by the
then director of the Academy of Music. That man was Richard Aaron Heritage, who
named the building after himself. Throughout history, the Heritage Hall has been
used for many things. For example, it was a barracks during the First World War,
later a machine park, then a library and is now the university's legal
department. In 2009, however, the building was demolished and rebuilt, which the
university calls restoration.
Indiana World War
The Indiana World War Memorial Plaza is a park and building complex in central
Indianapolis. Viewed from south north to south, the Indiana World War Memorial
Plaza includes the American Legion Mall, Veterans Memorial Plaza, the Indiana
World War Memorial, and University Park. Work on the Indiana World War Memorial
began in 1921. The Indiana World War Memorial Plaza was initially intended to
serve as a memorial for World War I soldiers.
- American Legion Mall
The American Legion Mall consists of two buildings at the north end of the
Indiana World War Memorial Plaza. These serve as the headquarters of the
American Legion, a veteran group that takes care of the memory of the
American soldiers. These buildings are built in the neoclassical style of
limestone and in the middle is the Cenotaph Square. This garden with a
memorial serves as a memory of those who died in the First World War. The
cenotaph itself consists of 4 black granite columns on the top of which
there are 4 golden eagles.
- Veterans Memorial Plaza
The Veterans Memorial Plaza, also called Obelisk Square, is located just
south of the American Legion Mall and was completed in 1930. This
approximately 22,500 mē park includes an obelisk and a fountain. The obelisk
has a height of approx. 30 m and is made of black granite. The bottom
diameter of the obelisk is approx. 30m and there is a marble fountain around
the obelisk, which has a second basin and splashes water in various shapes
and colors. Originally, this area was not a park, but asphalted until 1975.
- Indiana World War Memorial
The Indiana World War Memorial is located south of the Veterans Memorial
Plaza and is arguably the main attraction of the entire Indiana World War
Memorial Plaza. The Indiana World War Memorial was built from 1926 to 1961.
The shape of the Indiana World War Memorial is based on the Mausoleum of
Halicarnassus, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. The Indiana World
War Memorial is approx. 64 m high and built in limestone in the neoclassical
style. All four sides of the building are identical and due to the fact that
the building is on a terrace, a monumental staircase forms which leads up to
the entrance. The Indiana World War Memorial Military Museum is located
within the Indiana World War Memorial.
- The University Park represents the southern end of the Indiana World War
Memorial Plaza. The history of the University Park shows that the use of the
site often served different purposes. The area was a construction area for
churches, a high school and during the American Civil War a training ground
for soldiers of the Union. In 1876 an urban park was created here, which is
now surrounded by various statues. In the middle of the University Park is
Depew Memoiral Fountain which knows how to impress with bronze statues.
Medal of Honor Memorial in Indianapolis
The Medal of Honor Memorial in the city of Indianapolis is one of the city's
younger monuments and commemorates all US soldiers who received the Medal of
Honor, the highest honor for US soldiers. The memorial was opened in 1999. The
memorial consists of 27 glass panels which are fitted into a total of 15 walls.
Each of the glass panels represents an armed conflict in which the Medal of
Honor was awarded. A sophisticated lighting system lets the individual panels
shine in different colors and an audio installation provides information for the
||West Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
Landmark for Peace Memorial in Indianapolis
The Landmark for Peace Memorial is a sculpture in the Dr. Martin Luther King
Park in the city of Indianapolis. The sculpture consists of 2 bronze plates from
which the upper bodies of Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy protrude and
reach out to each other. The memorial was built in 1994 on the site where Robert
F. Kennedy made a speech on April 4, 1968 that many think had prevented an
uprising in Indianapolis.
Cannelton Cotton Mill in Cannelton
The Cannelton Cotton Mill in the city of Cannelton is a historic landmark of the
city. The cotton mill was built from 1849 to 1851. The cotton mill, which was
designed entirely in sandstone by architect Thomas Alexander Tefft, was the
largest industrial building in the United States. The Romanesque- style building
has a length of 85 m and a width of approx. 18 m. The two 30 m high twin towers
are particularly impressive.
Casino Aztar in Evansville
Casino Aztar in Evansville was the first casino on a riverboat, a former paddle
steamer, in the entire United States and is now one of the landmarks of the
city. The casino or boat was opened in 1995. The casino boat can accommodate up
to 2,700 visitors. The boat is a replica of the well-known paddle steamer Robert
E. Lee. The casino boat is 94 m long and 21 m wide.
||421 NW Riverside Drive
Evansville, Indiana 47708
Fort Wayne Old City
The Fort Wayne Old City Hall Building in Fort Wayne is the city's former town
hall. The sandstone building was built in 1893 and was also the town hall of the
city until 1971. Nowadays there is a museum in the building.
Lists ACT test dates throughout the state of Indiana. Covers full list of
cities that have ACT testing centers and the name of high schools where test
centers located, as well as state map of Indiana.