Historically interesting places
Andersonville National Historic Site
The Andersonville National Historic Site in Andersonville (short: NHS)
is a former U.S. POW camp in Macon County in western central Georgia, which was
listed in 1970. The camp is also known as Camp Sumper or the Andersonville
Prison. On the one hand, the National Historic Site - the memorial - includes a
prisoner of war museum, a victim memorial and a national cemetery. The camp was
operated between 1864-1865 and held a total of around 40,000 people prisoner
during its service life, even though it was only designed for a capacity of
10,000 people. Around 13,000 prisoners died of malnutrition, illness and torture
in just one year.
Opening times: daily between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site in Atlanta
On January 15, 1929, the son of Reverend and Mrs. Martin Luther King
Senior was born in a small house on 501 Auburn Avenue in Atlanta. Her son,
Martin Luther King Junior, later became known as a civil rights activist who
campaigned for the rights of African-Americans in the United States for a
lifetime and lost his life in the fight against oppression - on April 4, 1968 he
was shot in Memphis. To commemorate him, his parents' house was listed in 1980
and can be visited daily. The Martin Luther King Junior Memorial in the Sweet
Aburn Historic District includes his childhood home, the Ebenezer Baptist
Church, the church where Martin Luther King Senior and Junior preached, a museum
about the American Civil Rights Movement, and a souvenir shop.
Opening hours: Daily between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Abbreviationfinder.org: Find common acronyms associated with Georgia.
Also see top 10 cities by population in Georgia.
- Allcitycodes: Lists of all area codes of Georgia. Also includes state overview and counties by area code in Georgia.
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military
The Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park is located
between Georgia in the north and Tennessee in the east. The park commemorates
two major battles during the American Civil War in 1869: the Battle of
Chickamauga (Georgia) and the Chattanooga Campaign (Tennessee). The park was
built in 1890 and covers an area of almost 33 kmē. During the Spanish-American
War (1898) it was also used as a training camp for the troops stationed in the
south. Today the park includes the Chicamauga Battlefield with its numerous
monuments, time tables and exhibitions, the Missionary Ridge and the famous
Lookout Mountai, a small mountain range that gives a view of the entire area, as
well as the Moccasin Bend directly on the Tennessee River.
opening hours: Daily between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Special buildings and structures
Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta
Georgia State Capitol, located in Washington Street 206 in Atlanta, was
built in 1898 and is the seat of government in the state. It is Georgia's
landmark and is administered by the National Register of Historic Places. The
main government and administrative offices and a museum are located on the
fourth floor. It combines elements of the Renaissance and Neoclassicism and was
designed by the architects Edbrooke and Burnham. Architecturally, like many
other government buildings, the building is reminiscent of the United States
Capitol in Washington DC. Its golden dome, which seems to rise above the roofs
of the city, is particularly attractive. The museum encompasses all types of art
related to Georgia's history and serves, among other things, as an educational
center for the culture of the state.
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Atlanta City Hall
Atlanta City Hall is located on Mitchell Street near the Capitol
Building. It is the headquarters of the city administration and was built in
1930. The large box-shaped building in the Gothic Revival style was designed by
G. Lloyed Preacher and added to the National Register of Historic Places in
1989. But not only the magnificent facade is worth a visit, tourists are
particularly interested in the fifth floor of the building: the first green
terrace in the southeastern United States. It was developed by a number of
environmentalists, city planners, gardeners and designers and is intended to set
an example of the “green thinking” of the state. It is accessible to everyone
and offers its visitors the perfect balance to relax briefly from the stress of
the city and enjoy a piece of nature.
Opening times: daily between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
The Big Chicken fast food restaurant is a 17 m high
steel structure in the shape of a chicken in Marietta, Cobb County. The real oak
of the city was built in 1957 by the local architect Hubert Puckett as a
marketing idea based on the idea of its owner Tubby Davis. This has paid off.
The specialty of the restaurant, now part of the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain,
is its motor skills. Depending on the wind, its direction and the speed, the
chicken - driven by a rotor - moves its eyes, comb and beak. And although it had
to be closed briefly in the 90s, it is now fully functional again and visitors
can enjoy their chicken burger there in peace. Big Chicken is located directly
between Cobb Parkway and Rosewell Road.
Nations Bank Plaza
The Nations Bank Plaza, also known as the Bank of America Plaza, is a
skyscraper in Atlanta. With its 312 m, it is the largest house in the USA
outside of New York and Chicago and number 53 of the tallest buildings
worldwide. The skyscraper was completed in 1992 and now has 55 floors, which
include offices of NationsBank and Troutman Sanders, an international law firm.
The Plaza building in postmodern style is compared architecturally with the
Messeturm in Frankfurt am Main. It is also lovingly called tower in the park
because it is located in the middle of a green, urban park. By the way, the
square meter costs almost 3,800 euros, the total value is around 555 million
CNN Center in Atlanta
When the Omni International Complex was built in 1976 for $ 80 million,
it was hoped it would be the largest entertainment and entertainment center in
the South. Ignore it: the crisis of the seventies. The plans to turn the complex
into an office building, shopping mall, hotel, figure skating rink and several
restaurants failed. 9 years later, after Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. bought
the center, a new era began for the building. Today's CNN Center is the main
broadcasting center for TBS and CNN and is located right in the heart of the
city on 190 Marietta Street. During daily tours, you can marvel at the huge,
technologically advanced complex, which includes a hotel, several restaurants
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is one of the largest airports
in the United States. It is self-governed by the city of Atlanta and is located
less than 10 miles south of the state capital. 15.09.1926 the first airplane
landed in Candler Field (former name of the airport - named after the Coca-Cola
founder Asa Candler and once mayor of Atlanta) and the airport has grown
enormously since then. Especially during the Second World War, it also
functioned as an air force base and main airport for the United States, which
already had more than 1 million passengers in 1948. Today, there are around 90
million, making Atlanta Hartsfield Airport, with its 196 gates, the number one
in the world's largest passenger population.
Georgia Railroad Freight Depot
Built in 1869, the Georgia Railroad Freight Depot is the oldest
building in downtown Atlanta. It was built 4 years after the Civil War by Corput
and Bass, who architecturally contributed significantly to the reconstruction of
the city. The red brick building once served as the state's main freight
station, it was opened to the public in 1981. Today receptions, weddings and
special occasions are held in the large cargo hold, because the original masonry
convinces with a unique charisma. The room has a capacity for 800 - 1,300
Davenport House in Savannah
The Davenport House Museum is a historic Savannah site managed by the
Historic Savannah Foundation - a well-known national foundation in Georgia that
is committed to protecting and preserving historic sites. The completion of
Davenport House was completed in 1820 by Isaiah Davenport, who set a milestone
in local art. And although the history of the Davenport House is characterized
by neglect, the aesthetics of the building have been preserved to this day. This
is not least due to the new conservation renaissance initiated by the Historic
Savannah Foundation. Since its foundation in 1955, the foundation has rescued
several hundred houses in Savannah and throughout Georgia and has given them a
loving restoration - their first challenge: the Davenport House. The success is
impressive. Today, the house is also the foundation's main office, but also a
museum and landmark for restoration work in Georgia.
Owens-Thomas House in Savannah
The Owens-Thomas House is a sophisticated house in Savannah that is
operated by the Telflair Museum of Art as a historic house museum. It is located
on 124 Abercorn Street and was listed in 1976. The house from 1816 combines
features of the early Republican and English regent architecture. It was built
by William Jay, an English architect from Bath, England, who wanted to make the
house aesthetically compatible with those of his home. The name of the house
comes from the local politician and lawyer George Welshman-Owen, who bought the
villa in 1830 for around USD 10,000. Thanks to the loving restoration, the
sophistication and elegance of the house have been preserved to this day and can
be admired every day.