When you have a vintage sweater frequently you have to take greater care than current clothing. This is due to that currently the mixture of natural fibres with synthetic, as well as advances in textile technology, make clothes easier washing, being possible to throw them both washing machine and drying without that they lose their shape, color or shrink.
However with garments decades earlier not always is the case, the care that should be given are extreme, since with an only mistake a cute sweater can be reduced to the size of a doll, fully bleached or with a completely different texture.
Here are a few tips for those delicate garments last many years perfect condition:
- Lee tags: If it is a sweater manufactured in series and has label, be sure to read what fiber is made. If you have a combination of natural and synthetic fibres, it is very likely that you can wash and dry machining, without suffering any damage.
- In doubt, refrain: If a vintage sweater has no label, do not risk. It is possible that you have was made by hand, and perhaps even with very good quality natural fibers. He is dispensing the washed as much as possible and do it by hand with warm water, mild soap, not you squeeze it and leave it to dry on a towel so that you don’t lose their shape.
- Never use strong detergents, disorders or chloride: It is always better, even washing them to machine use mild soaps or natural products. Avoid chemicals and conditioners as much as possible to not ruin your clothing.
- Prevents the Sun: Never keep or leave to dry your sweaters in a place where given the Sun as this tends to discolor them.
- If it is your favorite sweater dress: And it says that you can wash and dry machining, don’t do it. Although you can endure this treatment a few washed, it is safest to complete wear out more soon.
- Never the crashes: Hanging a sweater on a hook, whether it’s dry or wet, the only thing that makes is buckling and it very likely Pierce. Store them carefully in drawers or shelves. Fold sleeves inward, them smooth cuffs and neck upward.
- For strands out: Pass it to backward with a knitting hook or needle and tie it behind trying to being noticed as little as possible.
- If it is pierced: Tries to compose the damage with the same yarn or sweater yarn, if it is impossible to get the same color thread and tries to make a discreet patch.
- To store: You can do it in plastic bags making sure garment is completely free of moisture. The plastic boxes with a piece of Cedar are used to absorb moisture and prevent odors, as well as to drive away pests. Balls for moth or a sheet of fabric softener, also work to help preserve the garment in a better State. That Yes, make sure the sweater is clean before storing it.
- Save vacuum?: It is probably the best way to keep the garments in the summer. What you need are special bags and a vacuum cleaner to remove all the air and leave your garment to the vacuum.
- If they have left you ball or specks: One of the ways to get rid of the annoying balls that make the garment look old and neglected is using an old rake, popular place the garment on a flat surface and pass it over the areas where the balls are most obvious, as under the armpits and where there is more friction arms.